Sunday 9 November 2014

Let the Gardening Begin...

So, last week, in a flash of inspiration, I decided I wanted to grow more veggies and herbs in my backyard, and as it's my cat Boogin's backyard mostly, I thought I'd name this blog after him.

My plan is to raise vegetables and herbs throughout the year, in polystyrene boxes (I don't trust the soil quality/possible contamination in my rental house) and have a polypropylene drip system and timer set up to set and forget. I'm also exploring planning and harvesting techniques (ipad apps, spreadsheets, calendaring etc) to remind myself what and when to plant and harvest, and recording where the sun falls at what time of the day, as the sun traverses behind a large tree, limiting the area of full sun availability to the plant stock. 

I've ordered ten varieties of seeds from the great website:
http://www.theseedcollection.com.au/ 

They have really cheap seeds available via post and a good selection of asian greens.

After a week planning and thinking about how I would make this work, I hit the ground running (bad pun) saturday morning, and visited my local fruit and vegetable market to gather polystyrene boxes, and borrowed a whipper snipper from my mate Derek.

No comments:

Post a Comment