Monday 24 November 2014

I got wood!!!!

So, moving to a new office has many benefits. One of these benefits is finding a whole lot of lengths of pine PERFECT for my raised garden bed. AND not treated (I wouldn't use treated, as it's full of arsenic, and other nasties that leach like crazy)!

I knew having a 4X4 (also known as a $X$ - because of petrol) would come in handy:



(my car boot is chockers)

And the job lot in the backyard:


...and finally, where the raised bed will be (soil to be removed and luckily there are bricks beneath the soil - which should stop weeds from growing up through the growing area):



Now...to find a circular saw, and some VERY long screws. I intend to make the front of the planter removable to make turning the soil a lot easier after each harvest....

Addendum: http://www.daleysfruit.com.au/forum/treated-pine1/ If you're going to use pine, of any variety, you need to look at the codes printed on the sides.
Almost all pine available in Australia has been treated in some way.

http://www.csiro.au/Outcomes/Food-and-Agriculture/CCATreatedTimber/CCA-safety-overview.aspx

The CSIRO's take on CCA (treated wood). I think I'll put a lining in my garden bed just to be sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment