Sunday 9 November 2014

Chemical Leaching?

So I've done some research about chemicals leaching from the polystyrene into the soil, and the only conclusive evidence so far has been that it DOES leach when heated (cook in cup microwaves etc).

As the boxes will be in the sun, I wonder if they'll heat up enough to start releasing chemicals directly into the soil, or air (and subsequently absorbed by the leaves of each plant).

This is a real problem now, as it defeats the purposes of purchasing good soil and keeping it separate from the existing, and almost certainly contaminated soil of the yard...

The site claiming chemical leaching from the boxes

....ok, after further research, and some thinking, I'm going to proceed with the poly boxes. I have a feeling once I get started with the growing process, I'll want to move to larger, raised, wooden boxes, but this is a good start.

This is a great site for growing in styrene boxes: 

http://www.homelife.com.au/gardening/how+to+grow/how+to+grow+vegetables+in+a+foam+box,5320


No comments:

Post a Comment